The elements of emotional intelligence in the workplace are critical factors in maintaining harmony and peace inside an organization. Employees with high emotional intelligence typically have a firm grasp of emotional regulation and never let their emotions interfere with their work.
There are different values and elements of Emotional Intelligence; for the sake of this piece, we shall stick to the following:
- Social Skill
Elements of Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace
Self-awareness involves recognizing one’s feelings and emotions because it helps to understand your strengths, weakness, values and their impact on the workplace.
- Self-awareness helps to create a consciousness that making a rash decision during intense emotion may have unfavourable effects.
- It encourages performance improvement and helps employees enjoy getting constructive feedback. It also helps employees be role models for the rest of the workforce.
How to Improve Self-Awareness in the Workplace
- Evaluate your emotional weak points.
- Establish a morning ritual to help you feel motivated to face the day.
- Avoid making emotional decisions.
- Make a daily timetable to track your work.
- Seek feedback.
Self-regulation entails controlling one’s emotions and developing situational adaptability. The attributes of someone with self-regulation are as follows:
- It does not allow negative emotions to hinder your work.
- It helps you control your feelings rather than allowing them to control you.
How to Improve Self-Regulation in the Workplace
- Realize that a lot of things are beyond your control.
- Reduce stress by engaging in hobbies or meditation techniques.
- Consider your next move before responding to criticism.
- Make constructive mention of poisonous settings
- Laugh and smile more.
- Take a lesson from everyone you encounter.
Empathy is the capacity to experience what other people feel on an emotional level. Also, it allows you to perceive things from their perspective and put yourself in their shoes while making judgments.
How to Improve Empathy in the Workplace
- Spend some time considering things from the perspective of others.
- List the possible effects of a choice and how they might affect your team members.
- Learn about your staff.
- Identify the opinions of others and express gratitude to them.
- Regularly give credit to the work of others.
Social skills refer to managing relationships and communicating effectively with others. This component entails:
- Understanding how to react in social situations.
- Understanding when to speak and when to listen.
- Saying the right things at the proper time.
- Putting your thoughts in words that others can understand.
How to Improve Social Skills at Work
- Practice public speaking by doing things like talking in front of a mirror.
- Keep your ears open at all times.
- Pay attention to others’ nonverbal cues (watch body language).
- Assist in resolving problems that may occur at work.
In conclusion, Studying and comprehending the four components of emotional intelligence will help you develop it. Apply the four components to your daily life to increase your emotional intelligence.
Post a Job Vacancy with Us.
Do you have a job vacancy? Then, post a job with us and access Assist to Hire’s Nigerian job portal.